Sunday, May 4, 2008

Blog 8

1 Official Topic: race and class relations in the lower 9th ward of Katrina in New Orleans

2 I am writing this topic because I saw the disparity on t.v. when Katrina hit New Orleans, more specifically the lower 9th ward. I always wanted to know more about the difference between these people who were the "have nots" and the people who were in a better off situation, the "haves." I wanted to know about this topic when I saw that Kanye West proclaimed that "Bush, doesn't care about black people"

3 I hope to reach the people who are ignorant to this issue. I want to reach the individuals who think A, Katrina could never happen again. and B. Obilivent the racism that was the the recovery effort that followed was just a mistake.

4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUzLpO1kxI- Kanye west excerpt from red cross

There is No Such Thing as a Natural Disaster: Race, Class, and Hurricane Katrina

Census Report on Katrina

Photos I may use

5 The Daily Crush Of Poverty, Strong As Any Storm The Washington Post September 5, 2005 Monday.
&
Black groups claim conspiracy to turn New Orleans white The Courier Mail (Queensland, Australia) October 15, 2005 Saturday

I do not know how to link it here, because I obtained it off of EBSCO It discusses the difference between the upper and middle class. I want more articles like this one...
6 My thesis is going to be that racism is alive and well and entrenched in our governing body, coming to the forefront when there is a disaster.

1 comment:

Doctor X said...

The topic works. I have modified your thesis a bit to make it more specific (below). Change the facts as needed.

Now you need to

1. take a look at the format I suggest for this paper on BB6 under Assignments.

2. Also, consider researching the HISTORY of race relations in New Orleans prior to this disaster (and consider that N.O. is/was one of the “blackest” cities in the U.S.—could that have anything to do with anything?). See Fidel’s blog for an example of what I mean by history. If this concept of history does not apply to your paper, don’t use it.

3. You need to think of where you’d like this paper to appear. Who are you writing to really? This is actually kind of important.

4. Don’t just assign blame. One very important part of the paper is SOLUTIONS. Find what is being done/ not done and suggest what should be done (I started that sentence in the thesis, but you can write that in the conclusion if you want).

THESIS: The response of the local and federal government to the emergency situation caused by Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans 9th ward shows that racism is alive and well in America. We must….